Photo courtesy of Devin Territo
Every showgirl wants to look stunning in the show pen. We pay attention to our outfits, to our tack and to our hairstyle… everything is perfect. A great makeup is just going to complete the look. But, sometimes, it could be difficult to create a good one or we don’t know which colours and products to use. I asked the famous makeup artist Devin Territo some questions about horse show makeup. Devin creates divine makeup and she was the makeup artist of Congress and World Champions.
- Which are the makeup trends for the 2017 show season?
Honestly I don’t really follow trends so I couldn’t tell you. I think what makes makeup so much fun is that everyone has a different style. When it comes to makeup for shows in 2017 you’re going to be seeing a lot of very dramatic looks from me. Those are by far my favourite for the show pen.
- Which is the best makeup for an all-around rider?
Probably something neutral that can go with a lot of different outfits. And of course always a bold lip. I think that’s something that can never be skipped.
- Is there a particular makeup for each class? For example, would you use different colours for a Western Pleasure rider than for a Horsemanship rider?
No, I think that’s too complicated. I coordinate the make up more to what the rider is wearing and what look they wanna go for more than what class they’re showing in.
- Often riders don’t have a lot of time to create their makeup. Would you suggest them a fast makeup to create in 15/20 minutes?
You can’t go wrong with a bold lip. That will really brighten up the face and make it look like you put in a lot of effort when in reality it only takes two minutes.
- Show days can be really long, which is the secret to have makeup lasting all day long?
Primer, a long wearing foundation and setting spray! My favourite setting spray is from Skindinavia and it really makes a big difference.
- The makeup industry is producing a lot of “strange” lipstick colours like purple, black, grey, and so on. Are they appropriate for the show pen? Are they too “extreme”?
If you like to wear purple, black and grey then by all means do it. I don’t think they are too extreme if that’s what you feel comfortable wearing. Personally its not something I would go for on my clients nor has anyone requested those colours.
- Do you try to use the same colours of the rider’s outfit for her makeup? Or is makeup something separated from the outfit?
It depends. If the rider is wearing a red outfit I wont put red lipstick on her. It could just be too much and clash. I love to coordinate the makeup by using colours that complement the outfit not necessarily match perfectly.
- Will you attend any show in Europe in the future?
I am not against that one bit! I didn´t even know I had people who lived in Europe who follow my work, so that’s really exciting.
- Would you like to add something else?
Yes, I think makeup for the show pen is not to take too seriously. At the end of the day there are no rules when it comes to makeup so wear what you love and have fun with it!
I would like to thank Devin Territo for her kindness and her availability to answer my questions, her work is such an inspiration for all of us!
So girls… now it’s time to have fun with makeup 😉